Foods You Shouldn’t Eat With DenturesBreezeMaxWeb
Whether you wear full or partial dentures, there are certain foods that should be avoided so that your dentures do not get damaged. Dentures themselves are pretty easy to adjust to, although learning to chew with them can take longer and it may take a while to accept that certain foods require caution when biting down on them.
Here is a list of foods that you should not eat with dentures:
- Popcorn will present a lot of problems because it’s a type of food that gets lodged very easily in teeth and once it becomes stuck underneath the dentures, it is very painful to deal with. Seniors who wear dentures have a very hard time with popcorn because the aftermath not only hurts, it is also messy to deal with, so it’s better to stay away from this snack. If salty is what you’re after, you can satisfy your craving with veggie chips.
- Candy is not only chewy but sticky as well and this combination can be a nightmare for anyone with dentures. Eating candy may result in your dentures becoming dislodged, which you want to avoid, so it’s always best to pass on chewy foods so that you don’t run into any problems. Frozen yogurt, pudding and even sugar-free gum are all great alternatives to sticky candy.
- Nuts are another food to avoid because it’s highly likely that pieces will get stuck under your dentures. It’s very common for people to chew only on one side of their mouth when eating this type of snack, which poses a risk of the dentures coming loose. Nuts may also cause dentures to flip upwards, which is uncomfortable and not something you want to deal with. Pitted olives are delicious and much easier to chew so you can consider eating them next time you crave nuts.
- Fruits and vegetables are very important and should be a part of everyone’s diet, although eating them raw can be problematic for those who wear dentures. Hard fruits and vegetables, in particular, should be avoided because they put too much pressure on the dentures and may dislodge them. In order to get the recommended serving of fruits and vegetables, try blending them into a smoothie which is much easier to consume, equally healthy and comes with zero risks.
- Peanut butter is very sticky and is one of the hardest things to clear from the mouth, especially when you wear dentures. It’s messy and can cause a lot of problems, which is why it’s always best to stay away from it completely.
Dentures can be tricky at first but the right dental clinic will help you every step of the way. Lumina Dental in Maple Ridge can help with a number of oral health issues like dental implants, orthodontics, dentures and much more. Whether you need dentistry for kids or are interested in Invisalign, the dentists at Lumina Dental can help, so give them a call today!